Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Welcome!

Hi everyone and welcome to my blog! I have to thank the Writing for Change Conference for the inspiration to begin a blog. 

A repeated problem I have faced as an independent editor is building trust, communication, and rapport with the individuals who stumble upon my editing site, American Editing Services. Perhaps nowhere is identity more deceiving than on the Internet. One of my most important jobs is being transparent to you, my audience. So with that, I welcome you to my site, and I will open up about myself.

My name is Laura Carlson. Below is an [overused] photo of me, for those who are visually oriented. 


I've been editing for the last five years, but it was in February 2012 that I decided I wanted to start my own editing business. I had recently left law school, and with it a “cushy" career. The quotes are to highlight this common misconception; a huge portion of law graduates struggle to find employment in the legal field. 

After I left law school, I felt untethered. Law was a lifelong career path, and it conveniently mapped the course of my life. Deciding to leave my graduate studies dissolved that deceivingly comfy safety net. When I went back to the drawing board of potential career choices, editing was at the top. 

I had always had a talent for writing and editing, and I had been successful editing as a side career over the past four years. But I was hesitant; I did not believe a full-time career as an editor was attainable. Regardless of this, I slowly began building my business, nearly positive that my pipe dream of a career would not work out.

Surprisingly, however, it did! I worked with some amazing individuals who put their trust in me, and I spent long hours editing their manuscripts and preparing pages of feedback. I wanted to do everything in my power to make sure they were elated with their edits. Even more surprising was that it worked! People were grateful for my feedback! It is still mind-numbing that you writers take criticism with a smile and ask for more. But I applaud all of you--you impress me immensely. 

I still spend long hours editing manuscripts. I am here first and foremost to help you be as successful as possible, and my success as an editor is a direct reflection of your success.

Now moving away from the heavy stuff. Here are some personal tidbits about me. My love for reading developed during my teen years where I haunted the Young Adult section of Barnes&Noble. I owe R. L. Stine a huge thank you for igniting my love of reading. His Fear Street series sealed my fate as a bookworm. I'm convinced this genre is where the most magical stories are located, the stories where anything goes, and readers can be anyone. So it may not come as a surprise that I have a soft spot for YA.

These days my tastes are all over the place. Writers have asked me repeatedly what genre I specialize in. My answer is always, All of them." Variety is the spice of life.

My one unusual hobby is reading up on archaeology. If you are a writer, you can probably empathize (I know many of you weave your interests into your story lines.). I have no idea why archaeology intrigues me as much as it does, but I have shelves and shelves of dense academic publications that discuss archaeological sites and cultures across time and space.

For the sake of time--both yours and mine--I'll sign off here. Again, I welcome you to my website, and I congratulate you if you've managed to read this far. I welcome your comments and questions--don't be shy!

Happy writing,
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment