Monday, November 5, 2012

Holiday Raffle


Happy Monday everyone! It’s November, and the holidays are coming. In honor of the giving spirit, American Editing Services will be raffling off a FREE manuscript critique. The normal cost of a manuscript critique ranges from $200 dollars to $500 dollars. For more information on what a manuscript critique is and what it looks like, click here.


All Who Enter Receive a Prize
That’s right, just entering your name into the raffle you receive a prize. The first twenty individuals who join will receive 1,000 words worth of FREE edits, and the second twenty will receive 500 words worth of FREE edits.

Duration
November 1st to December 31st

Who Can Enter
There are two requirements to entering. The first is that you must join my blog. Before you drag your feet and say “forget about it,” please take a look at my blog posts. I post solely on information regarding writing, editing, and publishing books. You’ll see no personal posts, and you’ll get free editing advice. 

The second requirement is that all who enter must have a book-length manuscript. I consider anything lager than 45,000 words book-length. If your book does not meet that minimum, you can still enter the raffle so long as you meet that minimum before 12:00 a.m. January 1st. A winner will be redrawn if at that time the current winner does not meet the minimum requirements.

Can I Enter if I Have a Book, but it’s Not Ready to Critique?
So long as you meet the 45,000 word minimum, you can enter the contest. The free manuscript critique will be good for an entire year (January 1, 2013 – December 31, 2013), in case you still have some polishing to do.

Extra Incentives
For every individual you recruit, your name will go into the raffle an additional time. So, if you recruit three people, your name will be in the raffle four times. Make sure to send me the name of the individuals you recruit. I’ll only count it as valid if they actually sign up for the raffle. 

For those of you discouraged by the idea of having a large raffle, for every hundred people who enter (rounded down) I’ll raffle an additional manuscript critique. 

Is this a Joke?
No, this is not a joke or a scam. And, because this is the first time I’ve ever held a raffle, your odds may be considerably good (although I make no promises!). If you are a writer seeking to publish, you have nothing to lose.

How to Enter
If you are interested in entering the holiday raffle, there are two steps to entering. First, please send me an email at laura@americaneditingservices.com titled “Contest.” Insert your name and where best to contact you. And second, remember that the winner must be following my blog, so don’t forget to sign up!

The Winner
The winner of this year’s holiday raffle was Caitlin Manz! Congratulations Caitlin, and thank you all for participating!

Happy holidays and happy writing,

Laura Carlson, Editor
American Editing Services
415.745.1764

11 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. Hope I win. I need the critique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower, found you through the Bookshelf Muse. Great info and advice you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like JeffO, I too found you through the Bookshelf Muse. I look forward to learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a solid manuscript that has already been through some thorough edits, but I think I could still use help with the first pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! I have yet to check my email today, but if you signed up for the Holiday Raffle, you’ll get some complimentary edits that you can put towards this!

      Delete
  5. P.S. I blogged, tweeted, and facebooked your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, how did I not know about this blog?

    Tweeted! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your wonderful comments, and spreading the word about the raffle! You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great site and posts - I am following. I also blogged, tweeted and facebooked your site. Now I'm off to email you.

    I found my way here via the Bookshelf Muse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I just read your informative post about increasing momentum, over at the bookshelf muse. I think this is an awesome give a way. Count me in. I emailed my information to you. I am also going to spread the word on twitter, facebook and google Plus. I am a new follower and delighted to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in! Found this via Melissa - will email shortly!

    ReplyDelete